Summer is not complete if I don’t get to sink my teeth into a cold juicy Philippine mango. Now that it is summer, Aki and I eat mangoes every day. To my non-Filipino friends, if you are going to the Philippines, make sure you include “Eat Philippine Mangoes” in your to-do list. I heard other countries sell Manila Mangoes but I don’t know if they are the same as the ones that we have here.
Here is a recipe that I got from a Libre newspaper back in 2009. We have been making tuna rolls in mango cream sauce every summer since we moved in.
Mango Cream Sauce
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup onion
1 pack All-purpose cream
1 tbsp sugar
1/4 cup cheese
1 pc mango, diced
– Saute onions in melted butter until translucent
– Add cream, sugar and cheese. Simmer then remove from heat
– Gently fold in diced mangoes
1/4 cup button mushroom, chopped
180 grams tuna in vegetable oil
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup bread crumbs
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2 tbsp red bell pepper, diced
2 tbsp green bell pepper, diced
– Mix all ingredients in a bowl.
– Spoon the mixture onto an aluminum foil and roll into a tube. Make sure the edges are sealed tightly.
– Steam for 20 minutes
– Serve over hot rice with mango cream sauce.